the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Run

As I rose and rose on my straight line
My deoxygenated thoughts drifted left and right
Trying to justify my self-inflicted sentence,
Punishment before the pleasurable crime:

"Mr. J. J. Executioner,
Look into my eyes
Wire me up and see if I lie.
I did it for the looks
I did it for the fame
I did it for the girls
I did it for the pain
I did it for me.
So bind me down
And sponge my head,
Pull the lever
And fry me dead."

But then there I was
On the forbidden hill
Walled from the innocence
That I had left long ago...

I held my hands up to the sky
To drink in all the city lights
The cataracts of jealousy
In god's own eyes.
And there I stood out of breath
My cold shirt stuck to my chest,
When I began my descent
Into my idol's arms,

A drunkard on a tightrope.

No comments: