the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Firsts

Dear mama,
I'm back and I've seen it all!
And now I'm grown, standing ten feet tall...
I've seen the sea and the ships that it holds
I've played all their games and won all their gold
But what I've kept you won't find in the pocket by my hip,
It lies hidden in my thoughts behind my love locked lips.

Dear mama,
I'm back after being apart
But now I've lost all control of my heart.
It tosses and turns in undecided hands
While I watch in terror to see where it lands.
If you see her please tell her I'll leave her to sit!
...As long as she lets me know what she finds fit.

Dear mama,
I'm back with a new pair of wings
And I've found the trust and love that it brings.
They've protected my people from liquid potentates strong
They've brought me to places I've wished to belong
They've helped me reach the knobs of heaven's doors,
But most importantly helped me pick myself off the floor.

Dear mama,
I'm back and now I know you were right,
And it will be nice to sleep in my own bed tonight.

No comments: