the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tales of an Inexperienced Craftsman

At perpetual high noon,
The shadows hide under the soles of our shoes
And the bed sheets of the lucky sing rhythm and blues
Rhythm and clues to the secret of life:

Go to college
Get a job
Get a house
Get a wife
Get some friends
Get in shape
Get some rest
Get a life

Rinse and repeat once you've planted your seed
Tuck yourself in the soil and provide a good feed
Because the roses remain hungry
With eternal sun and sky blue
But the civil disputes have hushed
And gone pleasantly mute

They call me a craftsman of ladders unique
But the ad is my bluff and my selection is bleak
I've built just one ladder and on it I stoop
It is a glorious one, but I need something new
And there in my mind it stands shy and sublime
My thought: Out of my reach, But I'll give it a try.
And on the highest rung I stand on my seat,
Count to five, close my eyes, hold my breath,
And leap.

No comments: