the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Undeserving

These keys can click
For every tick and tock
Of every second on every clock,
For every minute
Turned to hour
To day of my life,
Through the waxing and waning
Of ecstasy and strife,
The best of me,
The worst you've seen,
The wrong and the right,
When the alarm bell rings
Then death to me bring,
But I shall never clock out
On the love that you need.

I suppose the correct attitude
Is perpetual gratitude.
An ocean storm on all latitudes
Of words that cannot express
The gush of water out of my breath
And a rush of warm air to put me at rest,
To feel life in my lungs and heat from your hand,
To see beauty in life right now where we stand.
To wake up,
To breathe,
To shut up and believe,
As the summer sun shone on our faces again.
Again.
Again.
This is unheard of.
This is absurd.
This is the song of my talking bird.

So she sings,
And I sing
That life must be rigged,
Too big,
Majestic,
Complex
And hectic.
Silk strands woven too thin for our eyes to see.
Supporting our lives with what it takes,
And what it brings.
We can writhe until we die,
Until we stare down the eyes
Of the calm venom keeper that puts us in deeper.
Or we can lie and look pretty
In a web connected
Like the lights of this city,
That brings us together
When we are miles apart,
So we can play our part in close lives in danger
Or be strangely complete for incomplete strangers.

You have the anger of a devil
With the graces of an angel
And I'm flying up rockets
And jumping off buildings
To find new perspective
To get a new angle.
Because the lines that lie between
Molten, earth and sky,
Have been blurred in my eyes
From the tears that I cry
So these lines and my life
Have become undefined...
But if there is one thing that's certain,
I must be in heaven,
Just badly disguised as every day life.

So with everything I did know,
My perception of reality
Was thrown out the window
To make room for you to fly right in.
And if I wake up
And this never happened,
I'll just call so you can tell me it did.
And so you waited for me to drift away.
To get lost in dreams
That can only gleam
In the radiant light brought on by today.

I've lost faith in logic
But find comfort in disturbance,
Because you're the exception to every natural occurrence.

No comments: