the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Heat Panned Left

This time I'll try
To be a little more sly
In my approach,
Like the fairways of filters
In our throats for when we spoke.
All in hope that we didn't choke
On our intricate alibis,
Explaining in detail
The events of two nights ago,
The strong controlled flow
Of every element we know:
No earth,
Nor wind,
Nor fire,
But touch,
And breath,
And desire.

But this dam is not made of hardened sand,
A lustful man's work
With the appearance of the quirks
Of a three-year-old hand.
No, this dam reaches
And this dam feels
With steel
Backed with steel,
Backed with steel,
Backed with steel,
Protecting a core of perpetual heart
With blood vessels spanning the distance
Apart.
Churning and churning,
Turning the knot in your gut
(Like that time you thought
That there wasn't enough)
Into a bow on the pillow
That sat on the bed
That I never warmed with
The heat of my head.

And the next morning
We smirked at our screens
As we recalled the things that now recline
In the back of our minds
After running three and forgetting the rest,
A mental test
That proved to be the best in the stretch
As we had stretched our arms
At five in the morning...
So I laugh at the thought
Of you telling her this story.

I tell you mine and I tell you my past's
So you can really get to know
How long this has lasted.
Longer than the L.A. snow,
The lights that hung low
From my roof in December...
Longer than you ever thought you'd remember.

I sit at this shady table,
Anti-social and gaining all sorts of labels,
To tell you I'm going to do
Whatever I'm able to do
To not make the same mistake of our elders,
And instead of an end,
This will get even better.

No comments: