the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Subways, Stabs, and Bright Yellow Cabs

While I'm planning my life
With dream catchers and sieves,
You're living the life
That I've always wanted to live:
The fumes,
The streets,
The lights and the sleet,
Oh how I'd die for... and from,
A breath of that bitter sweet air
And what a bonus if you were there!
Winter coat and heels,
Trying to hail a cab
And your red nose would wrinkle
As you got a little mad.
You'd twiddle your hair,
Making knots in your locks
In the same way that subway cars pretzel
In a symphony of gnashing iron.
And you'd say,
"Hush, this is my favorite song!"
As I ask you to tell me if this is where I belong...

But now I know your fate is somewhere far away,
So go ahead and say "Good morning!" to your brand New York day.

No comments: