the stars, the sea, and sleep.

Monday, February 2, 2009

To Those Who May Not Exist...

I asked the sea to sing for me,
And it did.
And how the soft keys
Went so well with the sea breeze.
How the waves stroked the sand
And each time the shoreline
Would pull back her arms,
The grain opened up in pockets of air
And whispered for more in a cloud of white foam

I asked the city to shine for me,
And it did.
And how the stream of a thousand headlights
Shone brighter in my eyes than the envy of the moon
How it brought me to heaven far too soon.
My God...
Do we rule the skies
Or do the skies rule our lives?
Gasping for air in the middle of the street,
I suddenly lose contact with the ground beneath my feet.

I didn't ask you to love me,
But you did.
And how those nameless faces
Gave me selfless graces
Plucked from the keys of most simplistic trees.
But how rich is the fruit that is the truth,
Picked, polished, and placed in my heart.
You might've stayed from the start
Or just made it to this:
Hello, nice to meet you!
My name is Chris.

No comments: